Friday, July 31, 2009

It's not the camera, it's the photographer.

On a recent weekend trip my son and I were at the hot springs pool in Saratoga Wyoming late in the evening. I noted my son's attention kept turning toward an attractive girl there with her family. The light was real low and moody, and I saw a great photo opportunity.

To make the picture I had in mind - I used what I had, an old point and shoot Nikon ActionTouch waterproof film camera I brought for the river paddling we were there to enjoy. I set the focus, locked an exposure bias, carefully composed and braced the camera on a side bench, and squeezed the shutter. On our return home I had to wait for the lab like the old days. When I picked it up - Bingo! Just as I visioned. I scanned the print. Opened it in photoshop and adjusted the contrast and sharpened it a bit. The slow shutter speed combined with the characteristics of film give this shot a painterly look. Like George Peppard used to say... I love it when a plan comes together.

People often say to me "That's a really nice camera". It's not the camera, it's the photographer.

3 comments:

  1. Is that the photo result? Amazing. It's so dramatic :D What did your son say about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a scan from a lab print. My son didn't take much note, he's a boy of action and not art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full Throttle Coffee HouseAugust 27, 2009 at 10:07 AM

    That is a cool picture!!! Turned out great! I'm glad you see that you are VERY talented!! Awesome job!!!!

    ReplyDelete