Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Still Waiting for my Mirrorless Camera


Fuji X100
Fuji X-Pro 1
Canon EOS M
Olympus OM-D
I love the old rangefinder cameras. It's a visual thing I guess, simple, symmetrical, clean. Plus you don't look so obvious when you carry one around. More timid, or less confident subjects get even more so when a big SLR with a big lens made bigger with a hood, is pointed at them.
     I had a Mamiya 6. What a great camera. If  I was a heavy landscape shooter, may still have it. But digital has overcome any desire to shoot film. Now we have rangefinder looking cameras coming out, and it's the look and feel that I like.
     Was excited when the Fuji X100 came out, but no, slow focusing and, uh, slow focusing, and one lens. Then the Fuji X-Pro 1, but slow focusing again. Darn. The Canon EOS M. No Viewfinder. What?. I want, no, need a viewfinder. Holding a camera out like a stinky diaper is just not right. Olympus now has the OM-D, which I hear is nice. But it looks like an SLR (Why, no mirror?), and It's too small. The Sony NEX-7 is also too small, and the lenses are comparatively too big, and it's missing that classic look. I need a pro level camera that I can get a grip on and still have room for my face when I look through the viewfinder. So, here I am, still waiting.

Update 9-7-12:  Fuji has just released the X-E1. This could be it. Claimed faster focusing. At the same time, a firmware update for the X-Pro 1, claiming faster focus performance. My wait may soon be over (?)

Update 12-20-12: Was about to pull the trigger on the Fuji X-Pro 1 system when a friend says to me "Why not just use your Nikon D700?" Long pause and I say Cause-I-Want-One? Hearing myself, I took a couple days to think it over. I don't need one. It's a lot of money. Bad idea. So, I asked myself "what do I need?". Answer: A good quality point and shoot, OK maybe a good small camera one step better than a point and shoot that I will be willing to take everywhere I go. So I bought the Nikon V1 system for wayyyyy less money. I take it everywhere. Was a good choice. And there was a price drop after the V2 came out.  Yay!
Sony NEX-7


Fuji X-E1

No comments:

Post a Comment